2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Select Page

November 2020 Minutes

City Council Meeting                                                                  November 9, 2020

The City Council met at 5:30 pm at the Emergency Center with the following members present: Mayor Willey and Council: Gentzkow, Hoggarth, Nogosek, Watkins, Sandness, and Pedersen; employees Haugen, Schaffer and Hanson, newspaper Hagebock.  Attending via conference call was Engineer Reber and Attorney Radermacher. Visitor Robert Flath was also in attendance and Mike Wendel was on the conference line.

Mayor Willey called the meeting to order.

Minutes:  Pedersen moved, Nogosek second to approve October regular and special Council meeting minutes. Polled vote: all yes.  Motion carried

Financial:  Hoggarth moved, Pedersen second to accept financial reports as presented.  Polled vote: all yes.  Motion carried

Bills for November:    Pedersen moved and Sandness second to approve bills as presented. Polled vote: all yes.  Motion carried.

Engineer Report:   The water tower project has been started, they will pour the base on Tuesday.  Gate bids are still in process.

Reber presented an invoice for $6862.16 – Hoggarth moved Pedersen second to pay the invoice as presented.  Polled vote: all yes.  Motion carried.

Reber questioned whether the city wanted to move forward on the flood study.  They decided to get a cost estimate for the study before moving forward.

Visitor Comments:  Bob Flath informed the council that the railroad has made the 1st St NE a priority for crossing arm installation. The total cost is $180,000.  The state pays 90% of the cost.  The remaining 10% will be the county and city cost.

Attorney Radermacher asked to table the discussion to research more specific information and costs.  Item tabled until December meeting.

Mike Wendel joined the meeting via conference call.

He updated the council on the township actions regarding Twin Lake.  They are installing culverts by Steffes.  The township is out of funds for this project.  They may come to the city in the future and ask for financial assistance but at this time they are asking for a voice to back them in their fight to keep the lake from breeching.  If this happens, the city could possibly flood if no action is taken in the case of a breach.

Wendel left the meeting at this time.

 

Legal Matters:  Radermacher is working on the purchasing of the lift station near the grocery store/hardware store.  Needs legal description.  Councilwoman Gentzkow will work with her to get the needed information.

Radermacher asked it the council would like to put into place a mask mandate.  The Mayor does not see the need for the mandate and expressed that this should be the responsibility of the businesses.

Committee Updates: 

The Dump Ground Committee presented their proposed form for building removal at this time.  It was suggested to add the cost of bringing a building to the dump.

Need to put an ordinance in place to set this fee.  The city has the right to deny any permit.

Hoggarth moved to approve the Removal Form, Pedersen seconded.  After further discussion, Hoggarth amended his motion to add the charge of $200/hour if the city has to do work that was not done correctly in the removal process.  Pedersen seconded the amended motion.  Polled vote; Nogosek – no  Sandness, Gentzkow, Watkins, Pedersen and Hoggarth – yes.  Motion carried.

Old Business: 

Schaffer got a bid for the mosquito fogger.  Mayor Willey gave him permission to purchase the equipment.

Liquor License Applications:  Pedersen moved and Hoggarth seconded Liquor License applications for Nogo’s Tapper and Centerfield Bar & Grill.  Polled vote: all yes.  Motion carries.

Building Permits:

-Brenda Heyd Coffell – removal of a house –  Watkins moved, Gentzkow second.  Polled vote: all yes.  Motion carried.

-Bryce Livingston – removal of house- Hoggarth moved, Nogosek second.  Polled vote: all yes.  Motion carried.

– Sharon Morse –  removal of house – Gentzkow moved, Pedersen second.  Polled vote: all yes.  Motion carried.

-Bruce Huber & Alexis Nogosek – removal of house – permit is to take the house to the city dump.  The request was tabled until they have the proper asbestos inspections and state variance approved.

 

Police Report: Chief Hanson was quarantined due to COVID for most of the month of October.  He averages 30-40 service calls per month.

A vehicle was towed at the first of the month.  Questioned the process for this procedure in the future and where to store such vehicles.  The council recommended to use Ost due to the security they can provide for the property.

 

Meeting Adjourned at 7:15 pm.